Women have numerous misconceptions about their fertility and ability to become pregnant. In fact, a recently published study from Yale University showed that 50% of reproductive aged women never discussed their reproductive health with their health care provider, and 30% visit their provider less than once a year. This has led to less education and informed choices amongst us. 
While the research did highlight the many facts a woman should know, there is one thing it did miss: fertility treatment doesn’t only take place in healthcare institutions. You can easily boost fertility with the help of a spa massage known as Manual Lymph Drainage.
What is Manual Lymph Drainage?
Manual lymphatic drainage is a unique massage used by spa therapists and aestheticians to encourage lymph flow in the body. Also known as lymphatic drainage, the procedure is mostly used to detoxify the body, complement cellulite treatments, counter acne, and relieve individual’s pre and post plastic surgery.
Our lymph system is paramount to our overall health. When it’s not functioning optimally we can manifest frequent colds, be prone to infections and joint pain. By carrying excess weight and excessive toxins in our system in overload amounts, we can experience ill health.
The lymph drainage massage targets the lymph system, which is a group of vessels and lymph nodes that complement blood circulation by delivering nutrients to cells and carrying away toxins and waste. With the help of light, circular pumping movements, your lymph system will be stimulated and you will feel more relaxed and at ease.
How Manual Lymphatic Drainage Can Boost Fertility
As exotic as it may sound, lymphatic drainage has the power to improve your fertility. The following points explain how.
• Balancing Hormones–Women’s hormones regulate a number of things, but they are best known for controlling their periods. Since the lymphatic system circulates hormones through your body, it should function properly to deliver your reproductive hormones and those necessary for your fertility. This is why some physicians may recommend lymph drainage massage to support assisted conception methods like invitro fertilization (IVF).
• Detoxifying Your Body – This type of massage can boost women’s fertility by detoxifying their bodies. Toxins are the main reason behind polycystic ovaries syndrome (PCOS), painful periods, bloating, and infertility. By ridding your body of toxins through manual lymphatic drainage, your body will grow fertile. Not only does this mean that your chances of conceiving via a fertility treatment will improve, but it will protect you from the heartache of miscarriage.
• Boosting Immunity – In addition to balancing hormones and ridding the body of toxins, using this non-conventional treatment improves your immune system. Now you must be wondering what that has to do with women’s fertility, but studies prove that immune system disorders and autoimmune diseases can affect your ability to get pregnant. For example, if you’re allergic to semen, you will never conceive naturally. Some cases are so extreme that their IVF treatments tend to fail due their immune system. Therefore, reduce your dependability on medicines and boost your immunity with this gentle massage.
As you can see, manual lymph drainage can help you counter many issues while improving your immunity and fertility. Just make sure to get this massage from a trained masseuse or masseur and you’ll get all the benefits of this procedure.
Additional Suggestions for Self Care and Home Care
In addition to your manual lymph drainage massage, you need to work on rejuvenating your lymph system on your own. After all, following healthy nutrition and lifestyle guidelines are two steps within your hands. To improve your vitality and help you maximise the effects of this unconventional fertility treatment, here are some simple yet effective guidelines.
• Clean up Your Diet to Cleanse Your Lymphatic System – A healthy diet is one that minimally contains processed, chemically induced foods, preservatives, herbicides and pesticides. By consuming such a diet, your system will have less waste to clean up.
• Substitute the Good with the Bad – You can change your diet a little to ensure your overall wellness. For example, replace simple sugars and grains with complex carbohydrates, fruits and veggies.
• Avoid Food Allergens – Food allergens exhaust your body because they drive it to constantly clean itself. So eliminate these from your diet to complement the detox process of lymph drainage.
• Flush, Baby, Flush – You should start drinking at least 8 glasses of purified water. Better still, go for still alkaline water to reduce the acidity levels in your body.
• Take Deep Breaths – You should practice deep diaphragmatic breathing through your nose to keep your lymph fluids moving. Optimising your breath enables proper amounts of oxygen to circulate around your body. Yoga is great for both, so consider taking it up.
• Dump Emotional Baggage – Unresolved emotional issues lead to emotional baggage, which ultimately makes your body feel heavier. Deal with issues as they arise and move on.
• Exercise Regularly – Get regular physical exercise to complement your diet and cleanse your body faster. You can take up skipping or trampoline if you can’t head to the gym.
• Go Braless – Freeing your breasts is an excellent idea, especially as underwire bras cut into your lymph system and causes congestion. Try wireless bras as well.
Adding these tips to your to-do list will boost fertility and ensure the success of any fertility treatment you go for.
Yours in health & wellness,